ABOUT THE COMPANY
At The Floow, we seek something special. Where others see mobile phones or OBD dongles, we see tools with the power to tell us so much more about mobility than we could ever hope to know otherwise. Tools equipped with a wide array of rich sensors such as Accelerometers, GPS and Gyroscopes, and we value the talents of those whose calling it is to unlock their deepest mysteries.
Our Telematics Platform, combined with rich Mobile Apps, slick Web Portals and state of the art Data Science, serves customers all of the world, from Norway to Ireland, South Africa to the United States and Argentina to London.
The company has won a number of recent high profile awards including the Prince Michael International Road Safety Award and has recently been invited to join the FinTech Future50 (the top 50 European Financial Techs companies who are transforming financial services). We currently work with a top tier UK insurer and various Global, US and European insurers as well as Vehicle Manufactures, Roadside Assistance Organisations and various other Research Organisations.
ABOUT THE DATA SCIENCE TEAM
At The Floow, the Data Science team gives direction to everything we do. The Floow’s Telematics products can collect data from a wide variety of devices and present it back to the Client and Consumer using a number of media. But it is the Data Science team that define the best data to collect, the frequency to collect it, how to cleanse and standardise it and finally how to interpret it using state-of-the-art big data techniques in order to provide insights into the mobility being monitored.
Above all else the Data Science team values innovation coupled with great communication skills. You will need to listen to clients, understand their needs and liaise with the other teams in the Floow, before building tailored analytical processes and then communicating the results of your cutting edge analysis to clients in a way that they can understand.
As our portfolio and The Company grows we are rapidly growing the volume of data that we have available which enables further insights to be developed as well as evidence that what we have done to date is working well.
Our Data Science team faces significant challenges everyday in creating and delivering commercially viable and understandable analytical solutions to Client set deadlines.
As a member of the team you will be expected to drive forward this continual improvement and provide models that are better than those offered by our competitors.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
As a Data Scientist with The Floow you will be responsible for the on-going development and improvement of the analytical services which currently support hundreds of thousands of users and devices, as well as the design and creation of new and exciting features, analytics and management information to be provided to our clients and end-users. You will also be creating additional services that can be generated from existing data and working with various research organisations.
- You’re an authority on Big Data and statistical analytical techniques using suitable coding in R, Java and Python.
- You are passionate about delivering innovative solutions to get the most out of the available data and have a sound understanding of quantitative approaches for large scale data manipulation and analytics.
- You’re at home working as part of a diverse but tightly knit system of teams, instantly understanding and compromising with all stakeholders- technical and non-technical, internal and external. Communicating clearly and effectively.
- You appreciate great design and understand the value of going a step beyond building something that merely works, to designing something that evolves and scales effortlessly.
- You understand the value of testing and Quality Assurance.
- You are at home working in an agile fashion, deploying rapidly, collaborating closely, making pragmatic decisions, and have no problem adapting to rapidly evolving specifications.
- You have the ability to pick up and analyse an existing codebase to push the analysis forward, focusing on delivery and refactoring when needed
- You are keen to break new ground, and tackle problems that may not have been solved by anyone before you.
- Proven track record of ability to quickly adapt to and exploit new and cutting edge technology / techniques
- Degree or above qualification in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related subject.
- Broad knowledge of programming, and scripting (especially in R / Java / Python)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Prior experience of developing and delivering commercially viable ‘big-data’ analytic solutions
- Experience with working in connection with collaborative projects/dynamic teams
- Experience with using Data Mining algorithms and statistical tools such as R.
- Experience with Version Control (Git)
DESIRABLE SKILLS (AN ADDED ADVANTAGE)
- Strong Past experience on Research projects and deliverables
- Past experience on collaborative projects with divers teams
- Knowledge of Motor Insurance
- Experience of client interaction (financial sector)
- Proven track record of involvement in complex applications
- Experience with UNIX / LINUX command line and other programming languages (e.g. C++)
- Experience in presenting and visualising the output of big data analytics
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- You’ll have an opportunity to take a key role in the rapidly growing and highly skilled Data Science Team, shaping the final form of a rapidly evolving technology gaining relevance at an accelerated pace
- You’ll have the opportunity to make an impact within the team, applying the skills and methodologies you bring to evolve existing analytics and take it to the next level
- You’ll be able to work closely with key players in the growing field of UBI (Usage Based Insurance), as well as other clients in the automotive and other industries
- The position advertised is a permanent role, with remuneration based upon experience
- We offer both Bonus and Pension schemes for all employees as well as 21 days holiday
- You’ll be working in our Sheffield City Centre location which has good public transport links and car parking.
- You’ll be working for a company with an excellent culture, in a friendly and relaxed environment where the kitchens are always stocked with tea, coffee and food, there are games consoles to entertain you, and where beer fridays & nights out are common.