ABOUT THE COMPANY
At The Floow, we see something special where others see mobile phones, devices and sensors. We see tools with the power to tell us so much more about ourselves than we could ever hope to know otherwise. Tools equipped with a wide array of rich sensors such as Accelerometers, GPS and Gyroscopes. And we value the talents of those whose calling it is to unlock their deepest mysteries and develop exciting and innovative ways to feed that information back to users.
ABOUT THE WEB TEAM
Our motivation is to provide our clients and their users with a rich, empowering narrative of the conclusions and key events that have been discovered within the data we collect. Because of this we have been able to provide solutions for customers all over the world, from Norway to Ireland, South Africa to the United States, Argentina to London that combine this data with state of the art data science.
It’s also why we have always been on the cutting edge of research and development within The Floow, working closely with data science and design teams. Exploring creative visual representations of data in intuitive ways, that make sense, to bring greater value to our clients and their customers.
As our client base grows, we continue to refine, reinvent and improve client projects while maintaining great user experience alongside cutting edge new features and functionality, and constantly keeping an eye on managing ever changing targets, such as browser version, device resolution, accessibility, data compression and responsiveness. As we continue, we will have larger and more diverse challenges, but this requires talented, focused and creative individuals to create and bring to life these ideas, and that’s where you come in.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
As a member of the Web Team you will work with our blue chip client base on a varied range of projects that interface with our data intelligence platform. The work you do can have a huge impact on road safety, driving behaviour and reduce accidents on the road. You will be doing more than just writing code, you will be called upon to help evolve our current and new projects with innovative ideas using cutting edge technology. While working alongside our experienced team, you will receive the development and support you required to help you to the next level of your professional career.
Specifically the key responsibilities will be:
- You’re an authority on everything Ruby and Rails stack related.
- You’re at home working as part of a diverse but tightly knit system of teams, understanding and able to communicate clearly and effectively with stakeholders- technical and non-technical, internal and external.
- You appreciate great design and understand the value of going a step beyond building something that merely works, to designing something that evolves and scales effortlessly.
- You understand the value of testing and Quality Assurance.
- You are at home working in an Agile fashion, deploying rapidly, collaborating closely, making pragmatic decisions, and have no problem adapting to rapidly evolving specifications.
- You have the ability to pick up and analyse an existing codebase to push the product forward, focusing on delivery and refactoring when needed
- You aren’t afraid to break new ground, and tackle problems that may not have been solved by anyone before you.
- Manage your time and work effectively, using the provided suite of development tools.
- Work with new and existing projects, to develop and improve our code base while incorporating new functionality on spec and to industry best practice.
- Liaise with our internal teams and project stakeholders to ensure that requirements are fully met and project risks are communicated appropriately.
- Maintain and improve your expertise in the tools and technologies needed to create the very best solutions for us and our clients.
- Computer Science / related numerate degree (BS or MS) or equivalent work experience
- Ruby 2.0 and above
- Rails 4 and above
- Rspec / minitest / Capybara
- HTML 4 + 5
- JS (including jquery)
- unicorn or puma
PERSONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Strong team worker experience and ethic
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in an agile development team
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Good communicator
- Flexible and responsible attitude to work in order to achieve objectives
- Ability to work against critical timescales
Desirable Skills (An Added Advantage)
- Contributions to an active gem.
- Familiarity with UNIX / LINUX environment.
- Worked on one or more projects to WCAG level A or above.
- Having worked with Apache Thrift or another common RPC framework.
- Familiarity with AWS services.
- Exposure to NoSQL.
- Fluency in a second language.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- You’ll have an opportunity to take a key role in a fast growing mobile team, shaping the final form of a rapidly evolving technology gaining relevance at an accelerated pace
- You’ll have the opportunity to make an impact within the team, applying the skills and methodologies you bring to evolve an existing software infrastructure and take it to the next level
- You’ll be able to work closely with key players in the growing field of UBI (Usage Based Insurance), as well as other clients in the automotive and other industries
- The position advertised is a permanent role, with remuneration based upon experience
- We offer both Bonus and Pension schemes for all employees as well as 21 days holiday
- You’ll be working in our Sheffield City Centre location which has good public transport links and car parking.
- You’ll be working for a company with an excellent culture, in a friendly and relaxed environment where the kitchens are always stocked with tea, coffee and food, where gaming facilities (consoles, ping pong) offer opportunities to interact with coworkers, and where beer fridays & nights out are common.