The Floow is a rapidly growing telematics service provider that develops smartphone apps for insurers, to collect driving data and deliver services to insurers and their customers. We specialise in using data from smartphones and fixed to vehicle devices to support motor insurers pricing decisions. Data analysis is also used to provide driving feedback and educational tips to drivers across a range of factors including speed, hard braking and acceleration and distraction. The company currently works with major UK and global insurers, and has a number of other discussions on-going in new markets.
We are looking for a Data Science Team Leader to ensure continuous improvement in the area and across the broader team through the deployment of forward thinking Data Science strategies. We’re looking for someone to support the delivery of operational and project related key deliverables within deadlines and to a high standard through the effective management, development and ongoing motivation of a team of Data Scientists.
About the Data Science Team:
The Data Science team gives direction to everything we do.
Our Telematics products collect data from a wide variety of devices and present it back to the Client and Consumer using a number of media. It is the Data Science team that define the best data to collect, the frequency to collect it, how to cleanse and standardise it and finally how to interpret it using state-of-the-art big data techniques in order to provide insights into the mobility being monitored.
Above all else the Data Science team values innovation coupled with great communication skills. The team listens to clients, understands their needs and liaises with the other teams in The Floow, before building tailored analytical processes and then communicating the results of the cutting-edge analysis to clients in a way that they can understand.
As our portfolio and the business grows, we are rapidly growing the volume of data that we have available, which enables further insights to be developed as well as evidence that what we have done to date is working well.
- As a member of the senior technical team, actively contribute to the ongoing development and execution of the technology business plan.
- Develop and maintain your team’s strategy, anticipating the future needs of stakeholders to ensure continued performance.
- Actively support client facing functions to provide technical input and advice throughout the project lifecycle.
- Keep up to date with new technology developments and thinking in your area and drive a culture of continuous improvement to maximise any opportunities presented.
- Ensure that software and processes in your area are compliant with the relevant legislation and standards (both internal and industry), security risks are addressed and business continuity plans are in place to minimise service disruption.
- Manage projects and dependencies at planning, implementation and support stages to ensure appropriate resource allocation and on time delivery.
- Ensure the ongoing maintenance and performance of existing technologies to support the delivery of a seamless client experience.
- Monitor technical excellence within your team and take the appropriate steps to ensure it is achieved and maintained
- Ensure awareness, involvement and support from key stakeholders through effective communications and relationship building across the business
- Identify, flag and manage issues that pose a potential risk to project delivery or client satisfaction
- Play an active and relatively regular ‘hands on’ role in the delivery of project activities to ensure your technical skills remain up to date and relevant
- Inspire, motivate and manage your team to deliver their best work through effective communication, leadership, performance management and other engagement activities.
- Develop your team members to support their professional and personal development journey and help them to become the best they can be.
- Proactively contribute to the positive culture of The Floow through your everyday behaviours
- Undertake as requested other activities that may be outside of your area of focus but contribute to the overall success of The Floow.
You will have:
- Experience in a people leadership role, with input to strategy development
- Knowledge of key compliance legislation and BCP protocols
- An ability to build relationships, able to influence, challenge, and engage well with all stakeholders
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to plan and manage tasks and small projects within an overall project
- A deep understanding of Data Science and analytics techniques and processes
- Expert technical knowledge and understanding of the key technology principles that are relevant to your area (Python and Java)
- A demonstrable desire to remain technically capable and expert in current technologies
- A variety of analysis and implementation approaches and methodologies
You’ll be able to work closely with key players in the growing field of UBI (Usage Based Insurance), as well as other clients in the automotive and other industries
- Pizza and Drinks Fridays
- Company bonus
- Flexible working hours
- Pension matched at 3%
- 21 days’ holiday per annum with the ability to accrue extra holidays: an extra day’s holiday will be added for every full years’ service up to a maximum of 5 additional days
- The option to buy holiday days, up to a maximum of 5 days per year
- Floow Days (2 additional bank holidays)
- 25% discount off of new Direct Line motor insurance policies
- Season ticket loan
- Tech Scheme
- Health Cash Plan
- Life Assurance
- Discounted Shopping, Cinema and Restaurant vouchers
- GP Service
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Bike Scheme